Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Finding God in Everything

I know that it's easy to see God and God-like details in many things, people, ideas, etc. Classic go to's of a little child, spring-time, nature and so on. This may surprise some of you, but I really am a thinker. I run pretty deep. I enjoy watching a movie, especially a secular one, and being able to find spiritual parallels. Obviously there are parallels in The Lord of the Rings, but that's a gimme.

So, after reading this, you may want to burn me at the steak, but whatever. I can find almost any message I want to find in almost anything. Really. It's a blessing and a curse. So, should you not speak to me after this, I understand.

Zach laughs at me. I think he's jealous.

Anyway, in this edition, I would like to review Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. The new one. Unless you have read the book, you may not appreciate this version. However, it's the one we have been watching for a while, so that's what I'm going off of.

*side note: I love each version on the movies, and they each have their own redeeming qualities*

So, everybody wants to get into the factory. They don't know what goes on beyond the gates, but they know it's there. Mr. Wonka is a visionary candy maker, but he cannot trust people anymore. He has separated them from himself and his factory. Do you really need a spiritual connect the dots with this section?

So, Willy wants to invite children into his factory, with the promise of a gift beyond words. All they have to do is open the correct candy bar & find a golden ticket. Here's where I'll dig a bit further.

Augustus Gloop, a glutton, who is plain greedy. He tries to get into the factory and "win" this incredible gift, but just goes along with his day to day, and stumbles upon his ticket. People of this nature just go along with their lives, wanting something more, but not really taking the time or energy to do anything differently to take control. Of course, poor Augustus eats himself into a chocolate lake, never finding more than the mediocre fulfillment of any food.

Little Violet Beauregarde is a winner. She wins at everything she puts her mind to. She is set on finding this ticket to the factory, simply to prove that she can, in fact, do it. Conquering religion, or the practices of a religion, just to have that accomplishment. No real satisfaction except that you did it, only to turn into a large juice-filled blueberry.

Veruca Salt. Ug. My least favorite character in both movies. Although I do love her song in the first movie! Anyway, the rich little girl... who gets whatever she wants. Her entitlement line of thinking is amazing. And that her daddy feeds it just makes you want to puke. She believes that she deserves to go to the factory simply because she gets everything else she ever wants. How many times do we try to buy our way into Heaven, eternity? Tithing, giving to the poor. What worthless gifts if there is nothing true behind it.

Mike T.V. is one of my favorites and I'm not sure why. He hates chocolate, but he wanted in. He figured the numbers, worked the system, and got his ticket. Didn't even eat the candy bar that held the ticket (what a waste!). So, what can you do to work the system to get in? How many hours can you volunteer? How many doors can you knock on before you're allowed to live forever?

Charlie Bucket (said in a lower-class English accent). Aside from the worst movie song ever, "Cheer Up, Charlie," he was so pitiful. That song from the first movie made me feel even worse for him!
So, he really wanted to get into the factory. He adored chocolate, and found Willy to be a fascinating person, just slightly out of reach to him. He had no overtly bad habits, didn't feel entitled to anything, and really just decided that he would not be able to go on this wonderful trip. He came upon some money, by chance, bought some chocolate, and got the LAST GOLDEN TICKET! Ok, so maybe you weren't as surprised as I'd thought you'd be.

Anyway, these 5 little people get to go tour the factory, begin dropping like flies, and Charlie is left. He get to HAVE the factory. He gets to spend all of his time with Mr. Wonka and all he had to do was pick up some money... a free gift... *wink* *wink*

We must be poor, broken, deflated and realize we are worthy of nothing, and worst of all, there is nothing we can do to solve that. God chose us. Ephesians 1:4-6 says "just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will."

It would be... wrong... to liken Willy Wonka to God, but in certain aspects - he took Charlie as an heir ti himself. Charlie already had a mother & father, but Willy could give him more than they could, and he gave it freely and with held nothing from him, once Charlie took that money.

3 comments:

Heidi Stone said...

I've gotta say...you sure have a talent. Never in my life have I related either of the Willy Wonka movies to a salvation message!


cometi

Anna said...

You know, you certainly do have a talent. I greatly appreciate your perspective on things...I am going to try that...I may not be as great as you are at seeing the message, but I am going to try! Thanks again for the great read:)

Andy and Cari said...

What do you see in Jurassic Park?