Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Road Trip... again!

Now I don't want to make you all jealous, but I went to Tipton, Iowa last month. 

I know. Every person's dream!

My great grandmother lives there, and I took a little road trip with my kids to visit her. Her name is Esther Joy (Gram to us) and she is 104 and a half. I think at this age she should credit for as much as she can!

We stayed in a little motel about a 5 second drive from the home she lives in. It is not a home in what you usually think a home is, but more of a... community maybe? She has a little apartment with a fridge and sink, and her own rest room. There are three meals a day and activities. 

We played bingo with her on Wednesday, which is bingo day. The kids had a ball, never really having played bingo with a ball turner and lots of people. 



There was a table behind us where a man said bingo after every coordinate called that he had... the staff member/nurse with him kept saying, "no, Jim, you just got the space. Not a 'bingo."

Caller: N-34
Jim: Bingo!
Nurse: No, Jim, you just got the space. Not a 'bingo.'
Caller: B-7
Jim: Bingo!
Nurse: No, Jim, you just got the space. Not a 'bingo.'

Turns out Jim was an Alzheimer's patient. Breaks my heart, but made me smile. 

Then we went to a residents' meeting. Interesting. When asked what they may like to have in the way of activities, one older gentleman said he would like to have a 'girlie show.'

I am so happy the kids didn't hear that...

No comments: