Pages

Friday, October 31, 2008

Creepy....

So if you have spent enough time with Maura, you know that she can actually be kinda creepy for such a small package. Let me tell you what happened today, then I'll tell you what happened a "long" time ago, and why I think my house (more specifically, my bedroom) may be haunted.

Maura went in to use my rest room today, and she had to take her time since it wasn't just potty... catch on? Anyway, she was looking ahead - at a wall. I thought she was concentrating, poop is pretty serious business. Well, very slowly, a smile started to show on her face, and then she was grinning. However, as she was grinning, she started to turn her head, still smiling, a genuine smile, across the expanse of the bathroom. I figured (hoped) that she was just mimicking something she had seen, so I asked what she was doing. "Just looking at the monsters over there." OK... I asked what they looked like. "Like a Maura. Like me." So, now I have little creepy Children of the Corn ghosts in my room. Fabulous. Let me tell you about a while ago...

Maura was probably 18months, give or take. She was playing in the living room and I was doing dishes in the kitchen. We have a bar separating the two rooms, so I can see her most of he time. All was calm until she screamed and ran into me and grabbed my leg. She only acted like this when she got startled with the dog barking or a loud noise. Anyway, I asked what was wrong, and she said, "What is it, mommy?" I said I didn't know. She asked again, so told her to show me. She took my hand and led me out of the kitchen to where I presumed would be the living room, where her little shock originated. She turned down the hallway to our bedroom - all the while asking what it was...

I was preparing myself for a large spider or bug, maybe a rodent. Well, she gripped me tighter the closer we got to my room. She stopped in the doorway, and asked again what it was. I asked her what, and where. She said, "See, mommy?" and pointed into the room. I asked if she was pointing to the bed. She said yes, and said, "See. What is it, mommy?" I said that I didn't know, and asked her what it was. She said, "Is it a chicken? Is it broken?"

So I was officially creeped out and we left the room. I was relaying the story to Zach later that day and she turned around and said, "The chicken's broken, daddy."

Now you can see why I think my house may be haunted. Maybe I can contact one of those ghost hunting TV shows and let them check out the place. Do you get paid for that?

2 comments:

Andy and Cari said...

One time when you were out of town and I was watching Dina, I was asleep in your bed and all of a sudden Dina sat straight up and stared at a corner in your room. Her ears were straight up and the hair was sticking up on the back of her neck...I never could see what she saw...I went back to sleep, and it took her forever to calm down...maybe it was mauras broken chicken...

Lindsey said...

Okay...I usually am not a laugh out loud kind of person, but this totally made me laugh really loudly. I laughed so loud that I even woke sleeping Scott up. That is too funny (and creepy)!